Senior Academy Announcements
April 29, 2020
Good Morning Senior Academy Families!
Families please refer to the two emails sent out Sunday. This News can also be seen on EWA News below in; "Week of April 27, 2020" events coming up and "Week of April 27 - Part 2". (If you have any further questions please direct them to Mr. Johnson)
School Office Hours – Our school buildings are closed for students and the public, but school is still operating. The main office will be manned Tuesday – Thursday from 9:00 – noon. The best way to contact the school or admin is by email. We are also working in the building and remotely all week!
Senior Academy Department News:
Please contact your teacher if there are questions concerning your eLearning experience. Teachers and staff are here to patiently support our students and families throughout this challenging time.
You have earned it and asked for it – so here it is! This weekend is a celebration of families and a time for a much-needed break after four weeks of remote instruction.
May 1: Family Friday - this will be a day of no online work and the family has the day off from schoolwork (You disconnect and shut off)
May 4: Momma Monday (Dad too!) - this will be another day off for the family and will be the kick-off to Teacher Appreciation Week and is a great way to say thanks to families.
May 8: Flex Day - your teachers will decide the best use of this day (planning and/or make up day for student work) – your teachers will reach out with more information.
May 1 – May 4 will give you a much-needed long weekend. We discussed making it Mother's Day weekend but did not think many families could make it that long before needing a break! (May 8 will help)
Counselor’s Corner: - Notes from Mrs. Naftel…
I encourage students to continue to check their EWA student account so they will know when their schedule is ready. Schedule distribution:
· week of April 14 rising 12th grade students, students with IEPs or 504s (and beyond)
· week of April 20 rising 11th grade students (and beyond)
· week of April 27 rising 10th grade students (and beyond)
· week of May 4 rising 9th grade students
If students who are taking CCP courses in fall of 2020 are aware of their schedule or are ready to register, please reach out so I can share with you which blocks can be dedicated to CCP.
Want to take CCP but didn't attend the information session? I can help you get enrolled at WTCC or Nash (online only), please reach out and ask about this option
If you are wanting to make changes to your schedule, please submit those changes using this link : https://forms.gle/EBj4bFqW2hwu... or I also encourage you to make an appointment with me using the link below and we can makes changes on a video conference call or over the phone.
Thank you for your patience!
Student Support Team Newsletter: https://www.smore.com/zbfpx
Please remember that our Student Support Team is in place to help provide care and support during this time. They have information about resources and can support your child's/families SEL.
Students Stay updated:
Senior Celebration: We were able to reach out to Seniors this past week by delivering a yard sign congratulating them for being a member of the class of 2020. We also gave them their graduation caps and gowns. It was great to see the smiles and to let them know they are missed. We are exploring plans for a Graduation Ceremony!
NCDPI / State Board of Education / NC Legislature: There are still more unknowns than knowns in the world of education. NCDPI and the State Board have asked the Legislature for several waivers for testing and other aspects of accountability during this crisis. The primary one that impacts kids the most – TESTING. The Federal Government, NCDPI, and the State Board have recommended NO EOG or EOC testing this year. A draft bill is set for the Legislature to do just that. We are 99.99% positive; the bill will pass. So, celebrate - NO END OF THE YEAR TESTING!
NCDPI and NCDHHS 877-877 Meal Locator Texting Resource for Parents
· To help increase awareness of local meal distribution sites serving children across North Carolina, we invite you to please help promote the "text FOODNC to 877-877" texting service in both English and Spanish. For the Spanish-language version, users text COMIDA to 877-877.
· We are asking community stakeholders to help spread the word about this resource for families, especially those families who may be struggling to feed their children in these unprecedented times.
· Families who need help finding meals for their children ages 18 and younger can text FOODNC to 877-877 to locate nearby free meal sites. The texting service is also available in Spanish by texting COMIDA to 877-877.
· After entering their address, families will receive a text with the location and serving times for nearby pick-up and drive-thru meal sites while schools are closed. Sites have been set up across the state with school and community partners.
APP and Website – If you have not downloaded the school APP, please do. The APP is EWA in the palm of your hand. Live Feed and News links are two great resources. Take a look at all the messages from our teachers! Also, from the staff list, you can email the teacher directly.
Your support and encouragement are imperative to the success of this new normal. Thank you so much for your patience and help as we continue to navigate this new territory.
"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" ~ John Wooden